Welcome to the Society of FSP. Learn more about us here.
FSP Fact Sheet
Society of Financial Service Professionals
19 Campus Boulevard, Suite 100
Newtown Square, PA 19073
What is the Society of Financial Service Professionals?
- The Society of Financial Service Professionals (FSP) is a national network of credentialed professionals working in diverse financial disciplines.
- The Society's core values are "Relationships, Ethics and Education." Its mission is to promote professionalism among its members by delivering top-quality continuing education programming, by establishing and rewarding the highest standards of ethical conduct, and by cultivating mutually beneficial relationships among credentialed financial service professionals.
- To be eligible for Society membership, a financial service professional must have earned at least one of the following credentials: AEP®,CASL®,CEBS®,CFA®, CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®, CLF®, CLU®, CPA, CPC, CPCU®, CTFA, Enrolled Actuary, Graduate Degree in Financial Services (MS, MSFS, MSM, MBA, PhD), JD, REBC®, and RHU®. Credentials explained.)
- Two-thirds of all Society members have earned two or more professional designations.
- Nearly three-fourths (71 percent) of all Society members have been practicing their profession for more than 20 years.
What does the Society of Financial Service Professionals do for consumers?
The Society is pleased to offer consumers unbiased information on financial service topics, and to provide a referral to financial advisers who are members in good standing of the Society. These objectives are achieved via:
- Society Web site - Consumers who log on to www.financialpro.org will find a wealth of information that can help them with their own financial planning issues or educate them about the Society and the financial service profession. Visitors to the site may read feature articles on a number of insurance and life-planning topics, explore a career in financial services, find out how to earn a professional financial service credential or send a message to the Society requesting additional information.
- National Consumer Referral Service - Consumers (including business owners) who are seeking the help of a credentialed financial service professional are invited to call the Society's toll-free Consumer Referral Service at 1-888-243-2258 or log on to the Society's Web site, www.financialpro.org. They will receive the name and contact information for up to five Society members whose practices are in or near their community. Consumers will not be contacted by these professionals; it is solely the choice of the consumer if and when they wish to initiate contact.
- Rigorous Code of Ethics - the Society also aids consumers through its unyielding dedication to the highest level of ethical conduct in the practice of the financial service profession. The Society requires unconditional adherence to its strict Code of Professional Responsibility by all of its members. This means that consumers who select a member of the Society as their financial planner can be confident that the planning and ongoing counsel they receive will be guided by the highest level of integrity and competence in the industry.
What can the Society of Financial Service Professionals do for the working media?
FSP is proud of the relationship it has enjoyed with the working media throughout its history. Society members and executive staff make every effort to be accessible, forthcoming and sensitive to deadlines. The professionals who staff the Society's public relations department are keenly aware of the value of quick response and accurate information. Whatever their needs, we take pride in providing our media associates with thorough, professional service.
Some of those services include:
- Subject Matter Experts - Among our 11,000 members are some of the most knowledgeable, experienced professionals in the industry. Media representatives who need thoughtful, informed comment are invited to contact the Society's PR department at 1-800-927-2427, extension 2533 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to facilitate your interview with one or more Society members who have the expertise you need. (See list below for more detail on Society members' areas of expertise.)
- Society publications - FSP is happy to offer to our friends in the media a complimentary sample copy of the Journal of Financial Service Professionals ; informational brochures such as those explaining individual professional credentials or specific financial planning topics; or the quarterly newsletters of our nine professional interest sections:
- Business & Compensation Planning
- Leadership & Management
- Employee Benefits
- Risk Management: Life, Health, Disability, Casualty & Liability Insurance
- Estate Planning
- Qualified Plans
- Financial Planning
- Retirement Counseling
- Investment Managemen